Almond oil has been used for centuries as a beauty elixir. It is is a favourite used in professional beauty treatments thanks to it rich skin and hair moisturising properties, low odour and clear appearance.
What it does for our skin?
Almond oil contains a high level of fatty acids, which serve as a natural emollient for the skin and can help lock in moisture by forming a protective barrier. This means that almond oil is particularly effective for conditions like acne, eczema, psoriasis and rosacea. It is also beneficial as it helps to plump and firm the skin. For people who suffer from acne, the fatty acids in almond oil actually help dissolve the sebum that your skin produces, creating cleaner skin and pores, which helps to clear acne.
What to look for?
Cold-pressed Certified Organic Almond oil is best. This means that little to no heat is used in the process, thereby preserving all the naturally occurring chemical compounds within the oil, so that they can directly benefit the skin. Here at Brisbane Natural Beauty we stock almond oil that can be consumed as well as used topically on your skin.
Tips for using Almond Oil.
- Apply almond oil on damp skin, immediately after washing and lightly drying. Damp skin is able to absorb the oil more readily.
- Use as a hair mask. Apply oil from roots to tips and massage into the scalp. Cover with a shower cap and leave for 20 minutes to half and hour. Rinse, wash and lightly condition.
- Rub two drops of oil onto acne and dry skin.
- Use almond oil over soap when shaving. You’ll be guaranteed a smooth shave and soft skin.
- Adding a drop of oil to your forehead, while laying down to rest, is said to relieve stress.
Face Scrub Recipe
- 1/3 cup plain oatmeal
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 3 tablespoons Sweet Almond Oil (if you have acne-prone skin, add 1 spoon only)
- Wooden stick/spoon
- Small mixing bowl
Add all ingredients to bowl and mix well. Using your fingertips massage the scrub around your face avoiding the eye area in circular motions. Rinse with lukewarm water.
We stock several products containing sweet almond oil as well as pure organic sweet almond oil that you can use straight on your skin. Pop in to our healthy living store and ask our staff.